Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:53:52 -0600
I would appreciate opposing opinions on the treatment and/or lack of
treatment for colonies.  It seems most of the posts I've read so far
recommend routine treating with both Fumadil-B, and TM for EFB, AFB, and
Nosema  (and most appear to agree that Apistan must also be used for mite
control- Here at least there seems to be some "natural" treatments being
offered for mite control, but I don't see much in the way of alternatives
where the other bee diseases are concerned)..
What are the consequences of such treatments?  (and from the opposing side)
 What are the consequences of not treating?  Opinions welcomed in addition
to "facts".
I guess I'm trying to avoid honey and wax contamination in even the
slightest way.  However, I don't want to lose my two colonies for any
reason, and frankly can't afford to make a serious error by doing or not
doing what is being recommended.
I would appreciate a discussion (either to the group or to me personally)
about what we can do to keep both our bees healthy and our products, wax
and honey, contaminate free.
6 days as a rookie beekeeper with 2 very active hives.  One Lang and one
TBH.  The bees in the Lang (where the queen was accidentally released
immediately) are bringing in lots of pollen with their nectar gathering.
The TBH (where the bees are eating the candy to release the Queen) are more
active, but I have not seen any pollen yet.  Does this imply that the one
queen is laying eggs and has developing larvae to feed, whereas the other
has not gotten that far along due to having to be released by the slow
method?