From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:31:44 -0500
michael Bassett wrote:
> I'm curious why must apicure be on by aug?

We have been waiting for apicure to become available in Missouri for
awhile. Missouri beekeepers worried if put on in Sept. and we have a
cold Sept. then Apicure will go the same route as the menthol crystals
in the bags did. Menthol crystals will work in Missouri when put on by
Aug.' I use menthol/veg oil soaked shop towels and they are effective
even when put on in late Sept.

 I did have some that seemed to not evaporate at all?

I would worry about the mite kill on these colonies. With menthol(which
is the only treatment to compare with) colonies with bags which didn't
evaporate didn't get a good tracheal mite kill from our testing. The
plan most Missouri beekeepers have come up with the first year with
apicure is to test mite kill with a strip and sticky board in a week
after application. Maybe one hive per yard. Not a perfect system at best
but a way to at least get a idea.

Bob Harrison
Missouri, U.S.