From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:32:48 -0900
Hi Hervé,

> I am afraid they are not so many since we are only
> about 30 Millions inhabitants in Canada (I believe).
> So the beekeepers pool is not as large as in larger
> countries with warmer climates.

Still there are plenty of beekeepers to maintain a stock that will not have
inbred problems.

> Moreover, population is dispatched on a large area.
> Consequently, in practice, let's say I can rely on 4
> to 5 excellent breeders in Quebec and in Ontario. This
> does not involve a lot of genetic diversity, does it?

All that would be needed is three distinct lines.

> And if I constraint breeding to my few hives,
> consanguinity will soon appear.

Not if you divide your stock into three distinct lines and maintain the
lines separate to mate from.

> I can understand one wants to conduct his apiary
> according to his own philosopy, but I would find it is
> a pity to miss the train offered by best breeders
> around the world, unless there are good health and
> safety reasons (caution principle). Just considere the
> example of the Buckfast bee to enlight my opinion.

So infuse new DNA now and then if it makes you happy. There have been others
who have done this and wish they never had.

> Finally, I doubt autarky is good way to developp
> efficiency and knowledge.

Depends on your gaols. Self sufficient I think can be a good thing, I myself
do not want SHB to make it to Alaska and if beekeepers up here were more
self sufficient in the past we probably would never had gotten Vorroa. It's
to late for Varroa but we still have time to prevent SHB from entering.

> Anyway, if one can import
> genetic diversity, it does not prevent others from
> breeding in autarky. May be those two approaches can
> complement each other since breeders need some pure
> races for hybridization.

This can be accomplished in an autarky system.
   . ..
c(((([
Keith Malone
Chugiak, Alaska USA