From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:00:37 -0500
Hello Joseph & All,
 I wonder about the hardiness of this beetle, and if it
> will be able to survive winters further north.  I wonder if the adults
would
> be able to insinuate themselves into the winter cluster of bees and remain
> warm enough to survive the winter, or if the bees would be able to move
> them from the cluster and let them freeze.

I figure we will learn the answer to the above questions in the next couple
of years. Information from my friends in Africa is of little help with the
questions you ask about concerning cold.
After close study of your questions and careful thought I am going to voice
a opinion. I did quite a bit of information searching when the small hive
beetle arrived and went to Florida to see first hand. I believe the SHB will
winter in beetle holes in trees like all other similar 1/4 in. beetles do.
The SHB is a opportunist like the wax moth. Weak hives they attack but
although a few are found in about all hives in Florida now they seem to come
out of nowhere to ravage a weak hive. My friends in Florida believe (as do
I) that the SHB lives away from the hive most of the time. I believe they
will survive anyplace other similar beetles survive.
My American Bee Journal came today so I read Carl Wenning's SHB article
Barry referred to . The article was well written but reflected the opinion
most of Laurence Cutts which I am sure Carl consulted. Enough said. I hope
the article is better accepted than Carl's last months article. Fred Fulton,
Roy Hendrickson and Pierre Smith are ready to lynch mob poor Carl from the
tone of their letters to the editor! Last months article was on hive
depopulation in the fall.
Quote from Pierre:
"My suggestion is for Mr. Wenning to burn all his equipment or give it away
since his cold,calculating system of destruction of bees is repugnant !"
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps. many thousands of hives are depopulated every year by commercial
beekeepers. I doubt the trend will change because of the opinion of hobby
beekeepers.