From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:02:45 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Tim Arheit
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>You could simply cut down deeps (possibly a way to salvage damaged
ones)
>but keeping two in one reduces the amount of special equipment needed.
>The deep be made to have a removable divider, so the only really
special
>equipment would be the split inner cover.
>
>I can't say how well they work.  I do plan to try it next year.
They work well. A removable divider allows you to unite two if one queen
fails to mate properly. The tricky bit (especially with 3 nucs in one
box) is to get the bees into a full sized hive. It is easier if they are
closed up and moved to a new site, opened up one at a time for the
transfer and the remaining bees allowed to crawl up into the new hive
before doing the next one. A double is easier on the mechanics and can
be done at the same site. For the bees, one box with 2 entrances now
becomes 2 boxes side by side so there is not too much of a change.
--
James Kilty