From:
Barry Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:51:13 +1200
Greetings All,

There has been a great deal of discussion about bee and cell size, and possible influences on Varroa.

I've just measured the width of seven female Varroa - all I have on hand. I used a binocular microscope with a graduated scale in one eyepiece. The biggest mite is 1.72 mm across,  three are 1.69 mm, one is 1.68 mm and the two smallest are 1.65 mm. The difference between the biggest and smallest is thus 0.07 mm, and this difference in width is obvious under the microscope.

So with this much variation in just seven Varroa that are almost certainly all descended from just one incursion into New Zealand, how much size variation is there in long-established populations? Also, because Varroa mate in every generation, (about 3 weeks) could not natural selection operate much more quickly for changes in cell size than  honey bees in which the sexes mate about once a year?

Regards,
Barry Donovan.
New Zealand.

________
CAUTION: The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential.  If you read this message and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of all or part of the contents is prohibited.  If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Any opinions or views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not represent those of their employer.