From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:20:36 -0400
>> The inspector is trying to inspect my entire operation...
>> ...change things anywhere from the syrup tank (doesn't like that
>> it is outside the building and has taken samples from my syrup),
>> feeding pollen outside in the open, empty bee boxes in the yard etc.

>> Does anyone know where I can get information to show that these
>> things are common practice in beekeeping?

>> The health inspector does not understand that keeping bees and honey
> packing will be two separate operations. Please help!!!

Bob has covered this well.

I'd like to add to that the observation that the times are a changin' and
that many common practices that used to be acceptable -- and are still
widely practised and even advocated -- are no longer justifiable, given what
we now know about residues, bacteria, etc..  Moreover, keeping bees and
handling and packing the honey they produce are less and less considered to
be activities that can be deemed to be totally isolated from one another.
Increasingly, they are considered links in the same chain, and the
perception is that failure in any one link can be considered to be failure
of the entire chain.

With today's food safety consciousness, every activity from the flower to
the store shelf is being placed under scrutiny and control, and the
responsibility is placed either on inspection authorities directly, or on
the producer, who must document preventative and corrective measures taken
to prevent contamination or adulteration and be subjected to audit.

Anyone entering the beekeeping or honey packing business or making changes
to existing facilities would be wise to understand this, and to look a
decade ahead in order to proactively comply with present and future
requirements.  Otherwise, as Bob says, one may find himself tearing up a new
concrete floor, recladding and new wall, redesigning the storage areas, or
even having to move the facility to a more appropriate location.

As far as I know, there is no co-ordinated US effort to set up honey house
and product standards, but many, if not most other countries, especially
exporting countries, are hastening to get their houses in order and to meet
and exceed both current and anticipated standards set by international
bodies and by importers.  Australia and new Zealand have been leaders in
this effort and Canada is well along the road to establishing a system to
ensure compliance.

There is plenty of good information on the web.  I suspect that the Canadian
Honey Council has some info on the Canadian effort on their site at
www.honeycouncil.ca, and maybe list members will provide some other links.

The bottom line is that fighting the system won't work.  As they say, the
future is coming, so either lead, follow or get out of the way.

This is probably not what people want to hear, but I hope this helps.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/