From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:50:25 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, joe bossom
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>The comment of Mr Kilty in Britain confuses me, how does the hive roll back?

Dear Joe, I was referring to the removal of frames of honey as they were
capped. I suspect we had a bit of content drift on the thread and it
diverged. The hives are designed so as the insides can move back on
rollers. You will see some videos show the outside of bee huts with rows
of hives so close they cannot possibly have supers *above* them. I also
referred to Continental Europe (particularly in the East). Relative
darkness inside the hut means the bees are less likely to fly and if
they do, they go to open areas letting light in immediately rather than
on to the beekeeper.

I also return wet supers to the hive, if late on, above the crown board,
itself immediately above the brood chamber. With our mild maritime
winters in west Cornwall UK, the bees police the hives on warmer days,
and deal with any wax moth up there (with the spiders!). Our winters are
too warm to guarantee enough cold to kill eggs, though I have never
stored many supers with comb, outdoors, off the hives.
--
James Kilty