Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:18:05 -0400
On October 2 around 6:30PM my area of the Union County, Florida was sprayed
with pesticide to kill mosquitoses possibly carrying the West Nile Virus.
The mosquitoses are still alive, but thousands of my bees and other
beneficial insects were killed.  I had no direct notice of this spraying.
However, I did learn that a notice had been printed last Thursday in the
local weekly paper, but of course I do not subscribe to this publication. I
called my bee inspector and he arrived to survey the damage and obtain
samples of the dead bees for laboratory analysis.  He contacted the
environmental people and made a complain for me.   They are to visit
sometime in the  future as they real busy handling other complaints in other
areas concerning these sprayings.  Had I been notified, there was probably
not much I could have done as they sprayed in the daylight hours.  Maybe I
could have screened the bees, who knows.  With all the media hype an
'emergency' has been declared by the state, and so I am told there is no
recourse.  Why do they bother to label these products, if the government is
going to ignore them emergency or not.  The agriculture department in this
state is in charge, and it is my information, that the person in charge,
when told of the problem here, did not know that this area was to be
sprayed.  So the bee keeper takes it again.  William Lewis..