Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:10:53 -0600
> There is typically so much hive trash after 48 hrs that it gets hard to
 > see the mites.

After doing a lot of drops and thinking about drops a lot, I find that
there are a lot of subtleties to consider.  The drop surface is one, and
getting it just right is not always simple.  The surface has to stop the
mites and also keep ants from carrying mites away.  Breezes can blow
mites off boards.  Blocked screens from dropping bees and debris can
keep mites from getting to the drop board.  Hive manipulations,
disturbances and changing environmental conditions will affect drops,
and changes in the amount and position of brood in the hive from day to
day will affect the drops.  Season has a huge effect, and I am seeing
things now that I never saw last fall like mites running around and more
of the immature stages of mites.

I was looking just as carefully before and think that seasonal factors
like day length and night temperatures are the explanation. Bee
behaviour changes with season, too.  Location may have an influence and
explain why Pierre, Randy, and I are all seeing different things.  The
same applies to hive configuration, flow conditions, hive equipment and
beekeeper management practices.

_A bigger issue_, too is whether most beekeepers even can count mites
properly.  Although we were pretty good with drops a decade a go, when
recently, I started doing drops, I began with a casual and confident
approach, but discovered that my eyes are not what they once were.
(documented here).

I discovered that I had to look much more carefully.  Moreover, the new
drop boards I was using may not have been capturing the mites
adequately, so I had to play with the stickum I used.

I also found that when counting, I needed light as bright as full
sunlight, reading glasses AND a magnifier to see all the mites. The dark
mites lying flat are easy, but a lot of mites, especially those on edge,
are not easy to spot.  How many people are counting mites with adequate
conditions?  It is easy to miss half the mites -- or more.  I have
proven it by counting the same boards with naked eye, glasses only,
glasses plus magnifier, then bright light, glasses and magnifier.

 > The alternative that I prefer is to do a 3-minute (total time for me)
 > alcohol wash.

It is easy if the brood is accessible, but in doubles, hives with
supers, or hives that have become plugged, that number could be far
higher.  I've done a lot of washes, but even with practice, I would say
3 minutes is in ideal conditions and does not take all the background
prep, etc. into consideration.

Oftentimes, the proper brood area is not found on the first try, if at
all.  Opening brood chambers can lead to distractions from the job at
hand, and it is invasive.

Washes cannot be done in all weather, either.

I see these to techniques as complementary, not as alternatives, with
each having its place.