From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:30:48 -0700
> ...Im from the Atlanta area, normally this time of year the lows are in
> the mid 30's with highs sometimes in the low to mid 50's. For the past three
> years we have had maybe two dozen nights below freezing... Since
> Thanksgiving we have had 50% of the days in the low to mid 40's and
> even lower...

> Now for the question, Is the temperature such that I should consider extra
> measures not normally associated with overwintering in Ga??

Your temperatures sound pretty close to the ideal conditions that northern
beekeepers try to emulate when wintering bees indoors -- except for the
fluctuations.

A constant temperature a little above freezing is considered to provide the
optimal compromise for good survival and feed consumption.  Bees wintered in
buildings generally have wide open entrances and no insulation.

Wintering buildings are normally quite dry and that is good.  In your area,
outdoors, you should be concerned mostly about excess moisture condensing in the
hive and therefore slant the hive forward a bit.  Moderate upper ventilation as
described here on BEE-L many times is indicated as well.  Search for
'ventilation' at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/BEE-L/ and choose whichever
technique seems to you have the most persuasive arguments, since there is quite
a bit of controversy.  Personally, I think that you want just enough to ensure
the hive is reasonably dry.  A little condensation in the hive on a cold day is
not necessarily a bad thing, but water dripping and a damp floor is not good.
If you think it looks comfortable in there, then it likely is.

If you want to insulate at all, a slab of Styrofoam on top of the lid is about
all you'll want.  It can help with brood rearing and temper weather changes.

Full sun from sunup to sundown is good at this time of year, even in the south.

Shelter from the prevailing winds is also very beneficial.

allen