From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2016 12:57:21 -0500
>It is you who is misunderstanding me; I am not making any claims and have gone to great pains to explain that this is intended to be a discussion, not a >lecture. A statement like "rattle off some research paper" is a good way to bring it to a halt.

>>My hypothesis would be that the VSH trait is swamped by wild type
>>genetic  combinations, that it provides no clear survival benefit, and
>>that non VSH  bees prevail in the general population because they are
>>maintained with  acaricides.

I understood those to be your thoughts???

I apologize if I was not clear,  it was/is your thoughts I want, not someone else's.  Completely out of respect for your thoughts and ability to put them to words.  One thing I have learned is the  vast majority of these research papers  are based on advertising for a grant or more funding. I don't think that of the people here at all. My goal was to get you to explain what makes you think that continuing to treat is counterproductive,  not based on Darwinism principles,  which were and are based much on local adaptations,  but what we have here and now based on a global situation that precludes isolation and the evolution that comes from that.

No I don't have your article of 4 years back,  most of us don’t keep magazines that long. Is that available online somewhere??

In this case  I thought your advocating, and am quite sure Randy is, that  treating our bees is counterproductive,  I get the idea,  but 20+ years of real world results tell us your wrong.  In fact the storm in most places is getting worse as Varro is transmitting more and more viruses.  Yes that may be because we treat,  but what I hear you saying is the bond method would solve the issue,  I say no,  all it does is induce isolationism from the issues.  That in no way is a genetic solution, its burying the problem.  All the research I have seen so far shows us the hygienic, is not the answer,  and is recessive.  So as I view it, as of yet, a two pronged rebuttal to that hypothesis'. Heck actually the best possible I have seen so far is the Purdue ankle biters I hold out some hope that’s a more dominate trait.

Jose is right,  it is complex and we are all coming from different angles,  but one thing seems obvious is that the "restiance" genes  be they viral or otherwise, are defiantly recessive, and getting to where we want to be is no easy task.

In the mean time  IMO when anyone claims "if we stop treating it will fix itself"  your now in a world of your own,  and everything you say after that is just completely lost,  why?  Because not only is it unrealistic, evidence so far shows its not true.  For me that’s the point I, and many others stop listening, good bad or indifferent  not my point.  Just observation.

Charles