From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:56:29 -0500
Chuck Norton wrote:
> The Old Drone's wisdom and knowledge is so true; the bloom of the maple is
> indeed the big kickoff of spring. And, the end of the maple bloom very
> often does bring about a period of nectar dearth unless the weather is kind
> with warm sunny days bringing forth a continuation from the maple bloom to
> the main honey flow. But sadly, often there is a period of nectar dearth at
> the end of the maple bloom; and, at times strong healthy hives will die
> from overextending themselves raising their brood. There are also periods
> of nectar dearth during the maple bloom caused by weather that is just as
> devastating to the colony and the beekeeper.

I have found that it is weather more than anything else, if you let the
bees build up a good winter honey supply.

If a sudden cold snap hits the bees will cluster over the brood and
starve in a matter of days, even though there are plenty of stores only
a few inches from the cluster.

They have the worst of all possible worlds: cold which needs to be
combated by expenditure of energy and instinct keeping them with the
brood so they cannot get to their stores. This does not happen often and
is easily corrected by placing sugar candy directly over the cluster
well in advance of any expected cold. Have not lost a hive since I used
candy, which I do every spring.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine

BEE-L has no "Frequently Asked Questions",
but any topic can be reviewed by searching
the  archives.  The archives are the FAQ!
BEE-L archives can be searched at:
 http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l