From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:08:38 -0400
> What surprised me was Dr. Mercola's allegation that a
> good chunk of US honey is based on HFCS.  Anybody have
> 3rd party references on this?

There aren't any.
The claim is bogus, random, and specious.

Mercola was quoting a mere comment posted on his
message board about one of his other "articles".
It was contributed by someone named "Russ Bianchi",
who claims to be a biochemist, but is apparently
much more interested in dissing everything that his
product might replace:

http://www.zijapower.com/zija-management-team.html
http://www.zijapower.com/what-is-zija.html

...and seems to spend most of his time posting
such comments on various "alternative health"
message boards. (Based upon a quick Google.)

The specific claims made by this Bianchi person
are below, and are about what one would expect
from a "comment" made on a public website
where "health" and "alternative healing"
is discussed.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/13/honey-as-m
edicine-is-making-a-comeback.aspx

"Of course all naturally derived Manuka Honey works for this
application, just don't try this with domestic (USA) Grade
A Honey which has an over 75% probability of being force
fed and regurgitated (BEE BARF) High Fructose Corn Syrup,
or Invert Sugar, flavored and colored "honey", that
increases infection, based on pH and lack of any naturally
occurring enzymatic or anti bacterial or anti microbial
characteristics.

The dirty BIG secret in the USA is the VAST majority of
honey produced in late Summer, all of Fall, all of Winter,
and early Spring, is NOT real honey from botanical sources
(pollen, sap, nectar, etc.) converted by bees, but rather
force fed man made refined and HARMFUL sugars, irrespective
of USDA certification or organic certification!!!

How can you tell the difference as a consumer?
Invariably REAL HONEY cost two to three time more the
supermarket or generic mass produced brands in the plastic
honey bear packaging.

Price is also a indicator of real maple syrup versus
economically cut with other sweeteners or water or
preservatives (many times not declared and way under policed)."

Now this person clearly hasn't a single clue.
He also does not write in the style of someone
educated in the sciences.

"Pop Tart" is simply too good for him - we'll have
to call him a mere "Generic Toaster Pastry".

If he was a "biochemist" he would know the ease with which
HFCS contamination (or even deliberate adulteration) can
be detected in honey, and the ubiquitous nature of such
tests when honey changes hands in any quantity.

Recall that Mercola himself is an "alternative medicine
practitioner" who uses "lab tests" that may be unique to
his "practice", and engages in "lifestyle medicine", which
is a fancy way of charging suckers^h^h^h^h^h^h^h patients
a fee for giving them a sales pitch on all sorts of
dubious stuff.  For example, he says in his FAQ:

"You are welcome to bring a copy of your
blood work results for us to review but
we perform more comprehensive lab tests
than the standard lab tests and we have
a more precise interpretation of the lab
tests we run. Therefore, it is required
for each patient to run our specific
battery of lab tests."

If it quacks like a quack, and walks like a quack....