Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:15:01 -0400
> There has got to be a better way.  I don't need #1 apples if I have to
> consume pesticides.

I grow apples and do not spray. But, if you do that, be prepared to enjoy
protein occasionally.

I often hear the same comment from people, that they would buy less than
perfect fruit and veggies but they never do. At a farmer's market corn stand
or even the supermarket, check the pulled back husks on corn ears where
people check for worms.

Apples, according to an impeccable organic source, cannot be grown with no
spray without damage. I am testament to that with eight different varieties,
including a"no-spray" variety apple that tasted like moist dirt. Did burn
well in my wood stove.

Organic apple growers just spray with "organic" sprays that are just as
toxic, and in some cases more so, than "chemical" sprays. Sort of like some
natural mite controls like formic acid or thymol, both natural chemicals,
but never found anywhere in nature at the concentrations we put in a hive.

So if you want a no-spray apple, after the first bite be prepared for
something to look back at you. Or half of something.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine where biting into an apple is not just a job but an adventure.