From:
Ken Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:06:24 -0600
----------
> From: Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: automatic uncappers
> Date: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 11:12 PM
>
> Stan Sandler wrote:
> >
> > I would appreciate some comments on the various types of automatic
uncappers that available (Gunness, Cowan, Maxant...)Especially valuable
would be comments from those who have experience with more than one
type.Has anyone tried to build their own?  My old Hive and Honeybee
mentions a fixed vibrating knife that is heated that you run the frame
against.  I could imagine that might be an improvement over my steam plane.

> Hi Stan,
> When selecting a power uncapper a major consideration is the number of
> frames you have to uncap. High capacity Cowan or Guiness machines would
> be inappropriate for just a few colonies but a a great benefit if you
> have hundreds or thousands of supers to uncap. Personaly I lean toward
> the Cowan system. The Cowan puts the frames on a conveyor so you don't
> have to handle the frames much. The vibrating knife you mention is known
> around here as a jiggle knife. I have'nt used one but a friend running
> about 700 colonies used a pair of them for years. I've seent the Maxant
> in use. It does a nice job but for the money is slow.

        Hello Stan
        I just bought a used Cowen Mini Uncapper and I think it is great and it
will stay ahead of you even putting the frames on the chain conveyor.  It
will uncap hivebody, super, or shallows at about 50 seconds per box.  I
uncapped about 1500 frames this summer and did not mess up one single
frame.  I am very pleased with my purchase.
                                        Ken Lawrence