From:
Scot McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 19:47:01 -0500
>A major cost item that I don't see on your list, is labor.  My
>understanding is that "organic" is expensive because is more
>labor-intensive than standard commercial practice.

Fuuny, you are right. I didn't mention labor. I am not sure why you think it
should take more labor. There is less to do in an organic operation, unless
maybe you mean its more labor because the bees are more productive and you
need to get to the bees to get the honey off, but of course I am not sure
where you were going with this since you didn't say why you think organic
beekeeping is more expensive. Of course higher productivity requiring more
labor is a curse I think many would be willing to bear.

My experience is that healthy happy bees are a very productive lot.

Does your understanding come from a successfully sustainable organic
beekeeper, an unsuccessful organic beekeeper, or from a non-organic chemical
using beekeeper?

Scot McPherson
McPherson Family Farms
Davenport, IA