Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:45:32 GMT+0200
Hi All

Thanks for the posts regarding this thread (especially to your
Murray).

As Murray pointed out, fluvalinate has been proven to have little
known side effects, and carries with it a full set of product
instructions.

My point is: To make those procuct instructions, a lot of research
was carried out. Many expensive personal carried tests out, injected
the stuff into rats and all the other things that are done. Great
lengths were taken to make sure that the product was only launched in
countries after big disasters had hit, (advertising by example) and
people make lots of money this way.

So, when I lumped the chemical in with cocain. LSD, heroine, DDT and
all those other nasties, all I had hoped to do was to show that it
will oneday join these as another bad chemical. All the mentioned
nasties act on the nervous system. All were once legal. All have been
shown to be bad in some way, but not without doing some damage before
they were banned, and more thereafter.

Products which work, are not profitable. One wants to sell something
that almost works. The model T ford worked very well. So well that
people never needed another one as it never broke. So Ford decided to
build in built in obscelescence. Cars broke after people had finished
paying for them, so ford did not kill it's market. Likewise
fluvalinate has built in obsolescence (sp?) it does not work very
well, it will be banned probably just before it's patent wears out
and a new treatment will be released, which has been developed using
cash from the previous patent. And it will be banned just before that
patent runs out? Anybody from an agrochemical company out there able
to tell us how much their MD earns? How in the sixties certain very
famous companies used to empty their experimental chemical vats into
the St Lawrence river to save costs (from a previous employee who
left in disgust when a friend had to go to hsopital for
organaophosphate poisoning from swimming in the river)

I think it is a dirty world, and all I wanted to show, was that, just
like drug barons who sell a product that keeps it's customers to the
death, in some ways certain pesticides are similar. (A rat lives four
years, a human eighty - that means that we don't even know what the
long term effect of 90% of this centuaries pesticide is as those
people have not reached their life expectancy, and thier kids whose
original gamets had the holes blown in them have fifty years to go
before they find out whether the testing of fluvalinate was right -
the MD will be dead by then so who cares?)

Sorry, am a cynic - of to eat my breakfast/pesticides.

Keep well

Garth

PS - I am not a green peacer. I believe that exposing myself to
certain poisons is good (boosts enzyme levels to deal with them), and
so on. Just don't like big businesses that play evil games to
maximise profit. (We all would if we could though)
---
Garth Cambray       Kamdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.