From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:00:23 -0400
I am planning to buy a few SMR queens soon if we can ever get any rain
(Plum Branch SC).  I have used some formic acid, and would use Api-Life
(thymol) if it becomes available.  I have enough formic frozen to treat
my 30-odd hives twice.  When depends on weather and conditions and mite
loads.  I have used no other chemical treatments in 4 years of
beekeeping, but use IPM measures such as mesh bottom, drone trapping,
powdered sugar dusting, manipulating broodless periods, and mineral
oil/beeswax painted inside the hive body walls.
   I am still trying to determine the full list of SMR queen suppliers.
I prefer sources from non-beetle areas since I have serious concerns
about Coumaphos effects on queen performance.  Any suggestions from the
list?  I have selected from the best of my hives for 3 years, 2 years
with no chemicals whatsoever.  Stocks include several well known Italian
sources including hygenics, two sources of Russians, some Buckfasts,
and wild-caught hives from nuisance removals (some with multiple-year
history.) Some queens bought, some raised here.  Wish I didn't work a
real job 6 days a week or I could do better, but I think I can give an
SMR queen and her progeny a fair shake.  There will be no Apistan or
Coumaphos used here.  So far I've had pretty good luck -- last winter
only lost 1 of 30 hives, and that to March starvation.  Jury still out
on this year, tho I've had 2 hives abscond, and 5 outyard hives have
been neglected for 3 months without my main weapon, fresh FGMO/beeswax
paint every 6 weeks or so. Hope to check them soon.
Personal e-mails welcome.  I will probably start buying a breeder queen
or two next year. Really need ideas on sources.  Thanks.

Carolyn Ehle, Wood Widgeon Farm, Plum Branch, west central SC, piedmont
region