From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 05:52:36 -0500
Dave Cushman wrote:

>Here in UK we have a destruction policy for AFB, absolutely no
>exceptions...There are
>many of us here that think this policy should be extended to EFB as well.

Fantastic, Dave!  Since you think that EFB infected hives should be
destroyed and not sterilized then you must have the elusive data that I have
been seeking on how long EFB remains infective in equipment (it is NOT spore
forming).  Surely you wouldn't advocate something as extreme as destruction
without knowing such a basic fact.  And since no one else on the list was
able to provide an answer to that question (I posted it three times a month
ago under the subject heading: EFB sterilization) I look forward very much
to your response.

The other responses to that thread often mentioned that antibiotics were not
being used in many places, and the bees were being requeened and moved to
better foraging as treatment.  But no one mentioned destruction (or even
sterilization).

Are there any places in the world where EFB hives are destroyed?  If so on
what basis do they justify this?  (I exclude New Zealand.  Since it has not
found s. pluton so far, I certainly would assume it would destroy anything
that tested positive for s. pluton and was not Half Moon Disease.)

Regards,
Stan