From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2019 10:39:49 -0500
>Interestingly, a 2010 study of honey bee colonies in Uganda (which borders western Kenya and was thought to be Varroa-free at the time of the study) found BQCV in 30–40% of the colonies, but DWV and ABPV were not detected [61], suggesting that these two viruses may have been recently introduced to Kenya, perhaps by Varroa.

Evaluation of the Distribution and Impacts of Parasites, Pathogens, and Pesticides on Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) Populations in East Africa
Elliud Muli et al.  - PLOS

  I note this study of honey bee colonies in Kenya found bees were thriving in the presence of varroa, viruses and nosema. Colonies in Kenya are also free of neonics but that seems like an unlikely factor in hive health. Could it be that there are just no Piss Poor Beekeepers in Kenya?

This could be the key for you in Australia Trevor. As long as your beekeepers are all bloody fantastic mate, Australia has no worries.