From:
Michael Housel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:41:18 EDT
The Ross Rounds are the finest comb honey.  I am using mostly plastic and the
comb was a problem.  I enjoy it and produce it by cutting a plastic frame.
Leaving the plastic box container (cutter size) open under the 2 inch of
plastic.  I wax in the plastic to hold it in tight.  Normally I put this
frame on the edges of the hive, one on each side during flow.  I don't cut
the top drawn honey from the frame.  Draw time is reduced.  If I treated the
box with chemicals before I do not get the cut comb from that hive.  I also
use this frame to get queen cells if put inside the brood area.  Either
grafted or left naturally in a queenless hive.  The problem with this system
it is not sealed on the edges, may leak honey from the container (if not in a
quart jar) during transporting, and it will not bring the price of the Ross
comb honey.  Michael Housel  microscope on observation beehive research