From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:14:50 +0100
"Murray McGregor" "Complex subject, with genuine practical concerns for any
commercial
operator"

Let me pipe up that heavy lifting is most probably also the biggest deterent
to increasing the number of HOBBY beekeepers.  Newcomers  take one look at
what operating a normal hive involves and say 'Not for me!' despite the
interest in the subject that brought them along in the first place. Bob may
say it is a question of sorting out labouring help that is up to the
weight-lifting involved - but if we apply that to hobbyists we discourage
all the office workers who might like to take up beekeeping as an active
hobby on retirement.  You do not have to be out of shape to be unable to
handle hives with safety - as Murray says, " No full supers, even shallow
ones, come within the parameters set [by  Health and Safety regulations in
Europe].  I find it extraordinary that suppliers still sell hives without
safety warnings and wonder when the first court case will come.

As mentioned on previous occasions, my own retirement project is to
find/develop methods and equipment that enable beekeeping to be safe,
enjoyable and profitable as a hobby - in particular for the 'mature'
beekeeper and for children aged around 12 (the receptive age).  So my
Long-deep hive has cut the supers in half , to take just 5 Manley shallow
frames each, which both halves the weight and reduces back strain as the
super is held closer to the body.  This is the only hive I know of which can
be claimed to keep lifting within UK Health & Safety guidelines.  Can anyone
help to draw up a list of other hives available to beekeepers to which that
also applies?

Robin Dartington