From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 05:08:06 +1200
> Questions:
> Does New Zealand have a migratory beekeeping industry?

Not to any great extent.  Hives in some areas are moved for
pollination, but we don't have the extensive and regular migratory
industry such as, say, Australia or parts of the US.

> How does New Zealand's $1.8 million queen export business stand to be
> affected by this discovery?

Strictly I think the $1.8 million value is for both package and queen
exports.  The affects can only really be decided by our trading
partners, I would expect.  I don't think it improves our potential...

> Doesn't Australia accept imported queens from New Zealand, and is anybody
> taking another look now for possible infestation of varroa in Australia?

No, Australia has never imported bees or queens from New Zealand, so
they have no risk of an outbreak from this at all.

> Does Hawaii accepted imported queens from New Zealand?

Again, no.  New Zealand's packages and queens are trans-shipped
through Hawaii using closely monitored procedures developed about 6
years ago.  The safeguards imposed would eliminate this as a risk, in
my opinion.

  (\      Nick Wallingford
  (/      NZ Beekeeping http://www.beekeeping.co.nz

'Order' files from an autoresponder...
NZ Bkpg: Commercial Beekeeping (Story)?  Email to: [log in to unmask]