From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:07:52 -0500
Kyle Lewis wrote:

> If you have suggestions about nailing without splitting frames, I would
> appreciate your advice.

     Try dulling the nail before you use it. Place it head down on a hard
surface (I have a little square of metal on my bench) and tap the point with
your hammer. This makes the end of the nail slightly flat. When you drive the
nail, it bores  part of the hole as it goes through the wood. If you don't dull
it, the nail acts like a wedge, and splits the grain of the wood. This is good
for any size wood, 2x4 to frame parts, where you have to drive a nail near the
end grain