From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 07:20:30 -0400
> Most beeks were quite as we felt those researchers needed something new killing bees to get funding.

This also was reported in 2009:

> Disease mongering is a well-worn technique used by pharmaceutical companies to create new diseases -- define, name, and make household terms -- for the purpose of selling chemicals called drugs. The same technique has been used to cloak massive bee die-offs with an air of mystery.

> Colony Collapse Disorder is a false name that serves to mislead the public into believing that there's a new, mystery disorder, probably something very complex, that needs tons of money to be thrown at it so that every possible angle can be studied. The reason is simple. By misdirecting the public, and apparently many professionals too, the real reason for bee die-offs is obscured.

http://www.gaia-health.com/articles/000001-Colony-Collapse-Disorder-Is-a-Fraud.shtml

I find this whole thread to be absurd, insulting, and unscientific. It belittles the suffering of great numbers of beekeepers and their families. It trivializes the huge efforts of scientists such as Jerry Bromenshenk, Maryann Frazier, Dennis van Englesdorp, etc. who have worked tirelessly to get to the bottom of the decline in the health of pollinators. One could just as easily say that *beekeepers* needed something new killing the bees to drive up the price of pollination rental, and to get the border closed to imported bees again. But that would be a cheap shot.

PLB