From:
David Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:32:19 -0400
Pollinators or not , I don't care to pay one penny more in tax dollars personally. Here in Florida, they even put out weed and feed fertilizer in the name of keeping better grass, which is the biggest waste I've ever seen.

With that question and some others, I got a long letter from someone high up in FDOT that gave me all these University of Florida stats, like this is my front lawn on what Florida soils need, along with some federal regs, about lateral hazards and how the goal is to have clear, not weed infested roadsides.  So you can put all the thoughts as to higher cutting and rough growth stuff to bed , it won' t happen on a state or federal road , from where a state gets federal monies.

In my local area FDOT planted some wild flower plots, they had to have a crew come out and mark them, then a crew come out and till  the strips, then someone came out and planted.
After all this , spring rains came, the areas, backed up with water and only about 20 percent came up. I don't quiet understand , if habitat loss is the reason for pollinator loss, wouldn't it be a better bang for the buck to try and save or rebuild some habit .

Where are the pollinators going to come from if the roadsides were full of flowers. I seem to have a problem with the government and the layers of waste , to try and do something which honestly is  a misuse of hard earned money we the tax payers have toiled over to send off for big brother to piss away.

I seem to have read of late how we can't even pay our bills now ,and will most likely raise even more our indebtedness . We have to be reasonable and use some plain ole common sense on some things, i'm all for more flowers and woods, but this is a rat hole of a bill if i've ever seen one.