From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 20:44:42 -0500
Todd said:
 Working backward 33 days (minimum treatment period, 42-56 days
recommended),

As we move into new methods of varroa control we see a completely different
methods.

Dadants new method will clear a hive of varroa in less than 21 days
 I was told. You treat three times at seven day intervals.

26 days  minimum treatment period to 33 days maximum according to the
instructions I was sent for ApiLife var.

42-56 are  treatment times for Apistan/Checkmite.

Sadly many beekeepers will continue to use both Apistan and Checkmite till
varroa are crawling all over their bee suits before even looking at new
methods of control* if* beekeeping history repeats itself.

All the whinning over the price of strips will seem petty when faced with
beekeeping without chemical strips. Beekeeping is about to become harder.

Todd said:
I'd have to treat around 9/8 for reasonably
effective treatment.  This would significantly cut into our goldenrod/aster
flow, which continues pretty solid until Oct.

Several large migratory beekeepers which had huge varroa problems last
spring said the reason they did not check for varroa or treat the fall
before was because they were simply to busy making and extracting their
honey crop. I  see the same problem developing again.

How quick we forget the work of cleaning up a warehouse full of deadouts and
the cost of restocking those hives with bees.

Todd said:
 It also appears (based on Swiss research results) that efficacy drops
considerably in two story hives - from 97% down to as low as 74%.

The instructions say that the method described in the instructions will
treat a two story hive of bees *WITH* bees covering 8 to 20 full depth
Langstroth frames.

Dr. Delaplane (Georgia, U.S.) only reported a 67% control with ApiLife var
in the American Bee Journal but I believe the new instructions use three
treatment periods instead of the two treatment periods Dr. Delaplane used
(please correct me if wrong as I have not went back and looked up the
Delaplane artical).

Todd said:
 Premature cool weather (a real possibility in Vermont) could reduce these
numbers even further.

Looks to me you will have to cut short a Goldenrod crop to treat if you
choose to try Apilife var.

Todd said:
Derek mentioned that he treats in July, after harvest.   That would not seem
practical here in the Northeast U.S., where a major portion of the honey
crop is goldenrod.

You sound like many of my large beekeeper friends. At least I can figure out
why they lost half (if not most) of their hives over the phone to varroa
when they tell me when they checked (if they checked) and  the way they
treated for varroa.

I have never used ApiVar life before but I am using the product on quite a
few hives to see how well the product works. I like Todd would like to hear
from BEE-L members which have used the product or thymol both on the list or
by private email if you are shy.

 I am actually using /testing five different methods of varroa control this
fall. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket! I also have no way of
knowing if ApiLife var will provide control. I believe I will know after the
treatment period is over BUT you may get completely different results in
your area.

Bob