From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 07:43:31 -0400
If you have older equipment that does not have burn-proof, then you can
get problems in CDR burns if you multitask during the burn, but most
systems give perfect burns, if a little prudence is used. My 2X system
never had a "coaster" (a failed burn). If you burn files, just set the
system to verify the burn, and it will make sure all the 1's and 0's are
as the original.

But even if the disks last only ten years, by then we will have at least
DVD's as the main medium for data and maybe crystals as the next
technology. When I bought my Win 95 system, 3.5 floppies were the backup
media. A year later it was 100 meg zip disks. Now it is 700 meg CDRs and
soon, 2-5+ gig DVDs. That is in just six years, so do not worry about
the CDR life.

Since I do a lot of burning, mostly old records and tapes to CDR and
backing up my system and programs, I end up with duplicates or outdated
disks that I have no use for. I have found that they make a good deer
repellent. Hang them on a length of fishing line from any horizontal bar
( like a fence line) so they can catch the breeze. If there are any
lights in the area at night, the CDR catches the light and flashes. It
seems to spook the deer that use to visit our flowers. Came through the
spring with tulips and day lilies intact. Might also work with other
varmints.

You can use any CD-ROM, including all the free ones that AOL likes to
send.

They do not last ten years when in the sun and rain. Usually a couple of
months.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME