From:
michael Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:31:20 -0400
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem, any remidies?
Due to treating for mites in mid August, and most of my hive are permanent
located pollination contracts I had to insure enough space late in the
year to keep the bees working.  I went to overwintering in 3 deeps,which
worked wonderfully for 3-4 years.  the past three years I have had so much
pollen coming in early and so many bees early that in many hives I have
one to one and a half deeps of pollen by the beggining of june and right
through the summer. the bees needless to say consider this to be brood
chamber congestion and my number of swarms has risen dramaticly!
 It's very useful for making nuc's etc because I have an abundance of bees
and pollen but makes judging how much room there is in the brood chamber
tricky because if you just lift it (even if full of pollen) it feels empty
andyou think the queen has plenty of room. they let you know when you make
this mistake.
 I'm considering pollen traps but since you have to check them every other
day and I'm far from my hives this option isn't very attractive.

thanks Mike Bassett Grafton, mass.