From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 00:09:46 -0600
Greetings all,
     Around St. Louis, soft Maple will bloom several times, usually
following a cold snap, then a warming trend triggers the bloom.  I know that
the buds on the maples around me are swollen, but I dont think they have
begun to bloom.  Being in Kentucky, you may be far enough south of me that
some Maples have indeed begun to bloom.  Another plant that blooms in the
dead of winter around here is, I believe, Witch Hazel.  I have observed them
blooming about the middle of January.  They have a white flower, but I am
not sure of the pollen color. Supposed to be pretty warm tomorrow, so I will
go check my bees, and see if they too are bringing any in.  Hope that helps!
Scott Moser

Jefferson County Beekeepers Association webpage

http://Jeffersoncobeekeepers.homestead.com/