From:
Judy and Dave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:59:11 -0500
BeeFarmer wrote:

> My bees are bringing sack fulls here in Ohio... but it isn't pollen... the
> neighbors cattle feed and hog feed is being gathered.

Our bees have been actively gathering pollen for over a month now.  Skunk
cabbage, maple and crocus and henbit.

Our spring report is 11 out of 11 hives are strong.  Unfortunately, many of
our local club's beekeepers (now I understand why George calls some beehavers)
have lost many hives.  Actually, those that lost bees (some all of their
hives) may be  relying upon the advice of a beehaver. Someone  had heard
someone, somewhere state that tracheal mites are no longer a big problem.  So
many of these gentlemen did not treat with menthol last year.

We are currently in the midst of an ongoing renovation.  Dave set up his
cut-off saw outside the back door so he wouldn't have to trek up and down
basement steps for each board.

The first day there were a couple bees hanging around and we thought nothing
of it because they have been actively checking out anything that moves or
doesn't move.  Second day, more bees.  Now on this 6th day, bees are all over
the table and the saw.

They are packing the pine sawdust into their little pollen baskets.  Not just
one or two bees, but at least 20 at a time are on the saw and the others are
going to and fro or unloading.  If they use this to patch all the cracks in
their respective hives, well, maybe we won't need to replace any equipment
this year.

Judy in Kentucky, USA