From:
"James W. Hock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:58:41 EST
Let it be known that I am an exterminator first and a beekeeper second, and
new to beekeeping at that.  My opinions are my own, and to be kept in this
context.  With that said, let me share with you my thoughts on IPM management of
honey bees.

IPM management of pests is what I do for a living.  It starts with a study of
the pest and ends with a plan to put stress on it at every opportunity.  An
IPM plan involving parasites of Honey Bees is intriguing for me.

Let it be self evident that Varroa mites are unnaturally present in the US,
that a naturally occurring parasite does not normally kill its host, that
through natural selection eventually these two insects will find there own
equilibrium in nature, that anything we can do to help this process would be more
helpful in the long term that trying to keep the weak hosts alive.  In the long
term, the answer is letting the sick bees die, rather than let them continue to
contribute to the gene pool.

Let is also be self evident that a large American industry is dependent on
pollinators, that we do not have time to wait for nature to catch up, that we
need a plan to keep the bees healthy, that this plan should include the current
need for the bees and the long term need for better bees.

For what I have read and understand about Varroa, they are more damaging to
our bees than their natural host for a variety of reasons, the differences
between the two bees include hygienic behavior, pheromone, and life cycle lengths.
 Some variables can be manipulated easily, others cannot.  An IPM plan would
assault and stress Varroa, preventing it from completing its own life cycle.
Given is accelerated life cycle when compared to its host, I expect the
economic threshold for treatment is lower than normally accepted.  When Varroa is
detected, it already has a strong foothold in an environment where its
population will rise unchecked.  An IPM plan should start with a zero tolerance for
treatment, treatment should be constant, protecting the hive and preventing the
spread of Varroa.

Starting with my own plan, would have to start with the hive itself.  I will
start with a new Lanstroth hive consisting of medium supers for hive bodies
and fresh wax foundation.  These choices are more personal than professional,
due to the location of my hives and the desire to eliminate all old resides of
past chemical treatments.  (We live in an age where science can detect a
pesticide in honey to one part in a trillion, I feel it is just a matter of time
before a pesticide is found in domestic honey and new laws will formed to
eradicate it.  My suggestion to all is to melt down your brood comb before it
happens.)  I cannot dispute the value of the Lanstroth design because we keep coming
back to it.  There is little that can be done that will stress Varroa and not
stress the bees.  I will however make a point to increase ventilation, using a
screened bottom board and leave a top feeder on year round.  I will also
drill holes in the bodies and install movable covers and install robber screens.
Small cell foundation maybe a benefit, but this not part of my plan.

It is one goal of mine to flood the air with drones from good, healthy hives.
 I feel this would benefit my local feral colonies, my own colonies and maybe
slow the spread of Africanized bees when they eventually find their way to
the Northeast.  I will encourage or install drone comb and freeze it frequently
from my weaker hives.

I will not scrape out all of the propolis out of the hive.  I believe it is
there to benefit the bees, creating an environment more natural to them than a
pine box that will naturally inhibit the growth of all parasites and other
organisms.

As for actual Varroa treatment, it is not in my plan to put anything into my
hives that I would not put into my own mouth.  It is my intention to
manipulate the bees own hygienic behaviors to their own advantage.  My thoughts are
that during inspections I will install cotton cords soaked in Food Grade Mineral
Oil (FGMO) and/or dust the hives heavily with powered sugar.  Neither of which
should effect the honey, but will severally stress the Varroa mites and force
the bees to clean up.  I need to read up more on wintergreen oil, I may lace
the sugar and/or FGMO if I can figure a safe and effective level or
formulation.  I'd like to try wintergreen in the feeder and brood patties if possible.
Formic acid pads sound promising, if we can get them.

Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to pop a couple of strips in
the hive and call it a day.  While I am working on this, my thought was not to
stay organic, the plan just keeps coming back to it.  I am very interested
hearing what everyone else's IPM plan is.

Jim Hock
Wethersfield, CT