From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:52:58 +1000
Mike Churchill wrote

> The copper naphthenate will protect against insect damage (termites), and
> fungi (mildew, mold, dry rot) but it will not protect the wood from sun
> damage.  Paint will protect wood from UV damage, and will minimize the
> swelling/shrinking/warping due to fluctuating moisture levels.

For those Bee-ler's in Australia please note that copper naphthenate will
not protect your bee boxes against termites (white ants).  I can testify to
that from my own experiences.  Here in Australia, copper naphthenate is not
recommended for termite protection and is only recommended for protection
against decay (rot).

If you want termite protection for things such as stands or bottom cleats,
you will need to have CCA (copper chrome arsenate) treatment.  CCA is not
recommended for bee boxes, only those parts not in direct contact with the
bees.

Recommendations are also to paint your copper naphthenated boxes inside and
out.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA