From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:48:29 -0700
>> The bees on HFCS died slightly faster, and, as I recall, the difference
>> in longevity was about 10%, with sucrose being better.

> One problem with such a small difference is that it is not noticed in the
> spring. Which is why most arguments between beekeepers about winter feed
> are useless without a lab study.

Even with a lab study, only infuences can be deduced.  Although we saw, in
these simplified studies, a higher mortality throughout, and a difference in
dates on which the last bee died, we do not know the ability of the living
bees in either case to do useful work or to replace themselves.

It is easy for the unsophisticated to rush to conclusions, which may or may
not be valid, but the studies themselves only prove what they prove, and
that is that the specific caged bees tested lived a little longer on the
specific samples of sucrose fed, than on the specific HFCS fed.

Any conclusions drawn from that have to be carefully examined and subjected
to further evidence.

The studies actually do not prove which is a superior winter feed, because
there are many other factors to be considered.

> Which I agree with. I would say that the pecking order would be as far as
> what was delivered to your door:: granulated sugar (then converted to
> sugar syrup without boiling),  not-boiled sugar syrup, HFCS/boiled sugar
> syrup, and honey.

As for the sugar delivered in bags, or even sugar syrup pre-mixed, what
about fluoride?  I quit mixing my own syrup because I heard from Jerry about
fluoride, and our local water is high in fluoride.  There may be other
factors, too.  Is fluoride revealed in pre-mixed syrup spec sheets, or
ignored?  What else is not revealed?

> The other issue is just what the bees are actually overwintering on. The
> bees do need field honey for the additional minerals it provides.

I would not tend to agree on that, due to the wide variability in
composition of honies, and also due to the fact that bees get most of their
minerals--AFAIK--from pollen.

> Winter feed is a bit more complex than just HFCS or sucrose.

Yes.