Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:32:24 -0500
Hi Jim,

>I don't see how the conclusion drawn in the last line is derived from the
statements made in the paragraph above it.

>Top entrance or not, the temperature in the hive beyond the extent of the
cluster is going to be about the same as the ambient temperature outside
the hive....

That's true as long as the temperature inside the hive is at or below about
46 degrees, the clustering temperature. But that's not the case when
interior temps are above that and the bees are not clustered. The hive
interior can be considerably warmer than ambient temperature. Warm enough
that brood expansion is possible outside the area occupied by a cluster.

These conditions are typical of spring and fall conditions in Wyoming. And
persist longer than the harsh winter conditions where the bees behave much
as you have described.

>Therefore, the bees are going to decide that it is "OK to fly" using
the same clues either way - the temperature INSIDE the hive, and the
temperature near the entrance.

True. But what effects the temps inside the hive? I think more than just
ambient temperature. Solar radiation is one factor which could easily be
lost up the chimney.

>Could it be that what was observed here was nothing but a function
of specific winters with longer periods at lower temperatures, rather
than the different entrance configurations?

Could be. But I've noticed a difference over the years between differently
configured hives in the same yard. This year I can't say because none of
them had any upward ventilation. And I didn't get nervous when they were
buried in snow and cheat by opening the upper entrance like I did with some
of them in the past:>)

Regards
topbarguy