From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:59:49 -0500
 From: Blane White <[log in to unmask]>

> Yes beekeepers do move bees out of AZ but they do so illegally
> and with on assurance that they are not shipping serious disease
> problems or unwanted strains of honeybees to other states where these
> things do not occur.

Hi Blaine -

I was not aware that there were states that had no bee diseases. I thought
by now all diseases have been in all states. No? Those that would be
interested in bee stock from the Lusby's are in fact interested in just the
opposite, their bees, that are able to handle mites and diseases. The proof
is there. You just have to go see for yourself. In this age of travel, I
hear about all the different gatherings and meetings that beekeepers go to
across this country every year, yet I know of just a handful of beekeepers
that have taken a couple of days and actually gone to the Lusby's to see
firsthand what is being talked about. I have shared what I have seen there,
Allen, too, has shared, why not Blaine now?

You also wrote in another post:
> Sometimes I suspect that
> the published data doesn't match with the claims in research reports but
> the only way I can come to that conclusion reasonably is by being able
> to look at the data.

I submit that the data is alive and well and living around the Tucson area.
Please, take a 3 day trip and go see. Back to this post:

> Again I ask why would anyone want to illegally import queens from an
> Africanized area when stocks with documented resistant to varroa mites
> are available legally from other sources

I would submit that it's called the right to make a living. Until their bees
can be proven to be AHB's, they have every right to go about their business.

> Illegal movement of honeybees has gotten us both tracheal
> and varroa mites.  There are other problems that could be easily moved
> that most of us don't want.

What we don't want is to use the standard/recommended practice
(chemicals/drugs) that has been handed to us for how many years now. We have
hive numbers dropping like the stock market due to mites, and you point to
problems that COULD happen should these honeybees get moved as a reason not
to do it? Wow, this seems way out of balance to me.

Regards,
Barry