From:
krengel lawrence e <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:32:43 -0600
I have read - I think in ABC and XYZ of beekeeping the following
recommendation for feeding:

Spring feeding- 2 parts water to 1 part sugar...  (a thin solution to
simulate nectur and encourage brood rearing)..

Fall feeding- 1 part water to 2 parts sugar... (a thick solution to
simulate honey to be stored as if a honey spill and not encourage brood
rearing).

I have used this system with good results.

Just recently there was a recipe for sugar candy...  a rather complicated
one... I recall a simpler one made of sugar, water, and cream of
tartar... heated to "hard ball" candy temperature and poured into a candy
board frame that is placed directly on top of the upper hive box.

I have used this system in the past, but I don't recall the exact
proportions of the ingredients.  Does anyone else recall?

When I used these boards in the spring to provide a little extra food,
they were only partly consumed.  A local beekeeper puts them on in early
winter and says they are complete consumed before the bees move on to
stored honey.  I think I am going to try this.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, Illinois  USA
Home of Dr. C. C. Miller