From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 07:53:36 -0800
Yes, the detailed plans and material list for this foundation press are found in John Vivian's book, "Keeping Bees," 1986 Williamson Publishing.  It can easily be found on amazon.com in their used book section.  Your local library may have it as well.  It may be out of print, but there are a lot of copies floating around, even appearing regularly on ebay.com

  At the time I attempted to make my own foundation, there were several rumors floating around about chemical miticide residues found in commercially manufactured foundation.  These alleged residues were to blame for a host of problems, but I do not know how many were truly verified.

  Since I had my wax from my hives, I knew what went into the hive.  I felt comfortable reusing my wax to make my own foundation.

  If you can't find the book and simply want the plans for the foundation press, I'll make you a copy of those pages.  Drop me a couple of bucks for postage and copying and I'll mail the plans along to you.

  However, after my frustration, I heartily recommend nailing a 1" strip of unwired wax foundation into the wedge bar.  Wire your frame like you normally would, insert the 1" strip (I cut mine with a pizza cutter using a 1" board for a guide) into the wedge bar and allow the bees to draw out the rest of the frame.

  If inserted between two existing frames, the strip will be drawn out nice and straight, and in the process, they'll build the comb right around the wires in the frame.  It does, as I suspect, take more resources from the bees to do this than if you used purchased foundation.

  I also found it took a lot of time (not to mention frustration).  Time is probably my most valuable resource and in the shortest supply.

  There's a host of information on foundation-less frames and strips in the archives.

  Grant Gillard
  3721 North High Street
  Jackson, MO 63755