From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:18:47 -0500
> One solution is not to use any of these chemicals on the bees.

> Oh, yes, another important thing: Do not paint the hive (only the
> exterior corners). This allows the hive to breathe, moisture to
> escape.

The bees do a fine job of ventilating and controlling the
humidity.  They do such a fine job that they can keep the
brood area very humid and warm (as is required to raise brood)
while at the same time, evaporating nectar into honey only a few
feet away.  Who suddenly proposes that they need any help from
the beekeeper to do this, or that painted woodenware was
a possible hindrance to hive climate control?

> I will go through my workshop notes when I have a chance and share
> more!

Sounds like you attended an interesting "workshop".
Could you tell us who proposed these highly creative and
innovative approaches to such complex issues?

> Some bee managers... advocate bucking up the health and immune system
> of the bees, in lieu of attempting to kill the virus.

And what specific steps might one take to "buck up the
immune system" of bees?