Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:54:51 -0700
Hi Bob,

Not sure how many nuc's equal one double deep colony but it's quite a few
I'm sure.

> The number of foragers is the key. Overwintered strong hives do better
than
> a nuc made up mostly with nurse bees from the brood nest and emerging
brood.
> Also is it possible to over winter a 5 frame nuc with out feeding it ?

reply:

Yes its possible to over winter a five frame nuc without feeding as I often
do this.

> Why wouldn't you want to feed the nuc if its low on stores?

You can't get away with not feeding every year.  Some years it works out
fine.  Some times if one doesn't feed them they won't make it.  Its a
judgement call.  When in doubt feed them which is certainly better than the
alternative. I personally use my nucs to replace my deadouts.  If the girls
come through fine sell some or what ever you want to do(two queen colonies,
ect.).

Clay