From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:19:24 -0600
Chris said:
All that the beekeepers need to know are the wing vein indices that show
without doubt that a sample of bees is AHB or one of the European ones.

Having actually done the FABIS test ( thanks to Jerry Hayes & the Florida
Apiary dept.) for my ABJ article I can see plenty of room for error. I will
make an attempt to find the month and year of the article for the list. Most
likely April of 2006 give or take a month. Pictures in the article show the
Florida bee lab , the computer and the side screen. I am describing from
memory but I need to find my article to see if I have explained correctly.

The FABIS test is quite a bit more accurate than wing venation only.
Researchers have said wing venation alone is not very accurate.

A big improvement in the FABIS test as used in the U.S. would be to project
the three body parts on a large screen so clicking on each point can have a
higher degree of accuracy.

Next I would change the program so a single sample could give a reading.
Then the technician would only need to prepare a single slide and not 10
slides really speeding up the process.

Once all the points of reference are clicked on the computer program (
provided by the Tucson Bee Lab) kicks out a number. Then the number is
matched to a chart and the percent of aricanization ( according to FABIS) is
found.

With wing venation alone ( as Chris suggests) the percent of Africanization
is hard to determine.

bob