From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:50:24 -0400
I wrote
My question for you is: do you regard these as "treatments"
and therefore, inherently a sort of interference, or are they OK because
they promote health rather than attempt to control some imbalance (such
as parasites)?

Tim:
That is a loaded question...

Me:
It was an honest question. Dean claims that he and Ramona were talking about honey bee gut flora very early on, and now people are promoting probiotics and pheromone stimulants for honey bee colonies. I honestly don't know how they (Dean and Ramona) feel about these products. Would they use them, despite their disdain for "treatments"?

Obviously, your typical antibiotic is a toxin which is used to kill pathogens. A probiotic could be a something which introduces, or encourages beneficial microorganisms. Is this considered some sort of treatment, or isn't it? I don't know since it's not a distinction I make. I do what I think is right at the time for the health of those organisms that are in my sphere of influence, whether my bees, my dog, my garden, or my family.

My question is usually, how can I relieve their suffering and enable them to thrive? I don't treat for problems I don't have, although I understand the benefit of proactive treatments like vitamins, food supplements and whatnot. Using substances to artificially stimulate growth seems like a different path entirely, and one I would not necessarily follow. I am hoping Dean picks up the thread, which he started.

Pete