From:
"Hanlin, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:36:47 -0600
Dear beeliners:
We are trying to determine how to construct an outside tank for storage of
high fructose corn syrup.  Presently we store approximately 40 fifty gallon
barrels in a shop, however they do take up a large amount of space and we
have a somewhat sticky mess year round between the barrels.  Our original
plans were to place a poly tank in the shop, however, it was determined that
the floor was not built to support a 2000 gallon tank filled with syrup.  So
this forced us to look at putting the tank outside the building.  We have
thought about having the pump portion inside the shop and piping coming in
through a wall.  I am writing to find out if anyone presently uses or knows
of anyone who uses a tank which is kept outside of a building and if so what
kind of precautionary measures they use to prevent such things as sugaring
of the syrup in the tank or freezing of the contents during the winter.
Another question we have is would it be beneficial to build a protective
building or walls around the tank to help prevent freezing during the winter
months.  We are also curious of how the syrup is piped or pumped into feed
containers for distribution.  We have checked with several suppliers here in
Iowa and in near by states and have been informed that we would probably
have to have a double walled metal tank and circulate either hot water or
steam to prevent the product from freezing.  Because we are not dealing with
individuals who know about storage of corn syrup, they are basing this
information on either chemical storage or other feed stuff (human or
livestock).  Any information that would clear up any of these questions or
if anyone could direct me to either a supplier or other individuals who may
have diagrams showing a layout or deal with syrup tanks it would be
appreciated.
Sincerely,

Steve J. Hanlin
Entomologist - Controlled Pollination
USDA; ARS
North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station
State St. & Mortenson Rd.
Ames, IA  50011
Phone - 515-294-1936
Fax - 515-294-1903