From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:49:51 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:

> As James and you have pointed out, nobody is at this point actually
> producing GM honey bees. But I think that it is worth discussing now
> why they should or should not. It looks as if it is is right around
> the corner, to me.

The fundamental problem is if research which can lead to both good and
bad results should be undertaken. That is an ethical problem and not
easily solved. All you have to do is look at the mixed bag we have with
"weapons of mass destruction".  Be they nuclear, biological or chemical,
all came out of basic research. And their impact makes GMO look benign.
But also out of that same basic research came a multitude of things that
are beneficial for all of mankind. The truth is the good far outweighs
the bad.

We do pass laws and make treaties to dampen the desires of those who
would misuse science.

But we have plenty of laws on pesticide use, and look at the number of
normally law abiding beekeepers who misused just about every tracheal
and varroa control that has been released, and some which have not.
Should we not release any pesticides because some will not follow the
rules? (Sorry for the double negative.)

Peter's concern is just and I share it to an extent. Major ethical
problems exist in most science, but you can get dangerously close to
harming basic research if the only objection is that someone, somewhere
will misuse it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine