From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:07:18 -0400
>> Dr. Edward Knipling, the Administrator of the
>> Ag Research Service (ARS), mentioned Nosema
>> ceranae as being not commonly found in beehives

> I don't where this info comes from. It appears that
> nosema is extremely common and we are being told it
> is likely mostly ceranae.

I think that Ed MEANT TO SAY that nosema cerane
was not commonly found IN THE PAST.

I think what he might have better said was that Nosema
ceranae was not commonly DETECTED, as old "archive" samples
have proven that everyone dropped the ball for years, and
mis-classified widespread Nosema ceranae as Nosmea apis.

So, while we know that Nosema ceranae was a lot more
common in the USA than anyone thought, we know it was
common for a least the past decade.

And as an aside, given the experience with:

a) What we all were told was "Varroa Jacobsoni" turning
out to be "Varroa destructor", and the difference being
glaringly obvious when the two are compared side-by-side,

b) What we all were told was "Nosema apis" turning out to
be "Nosema ceranae", and the difference being at least
noticeable enough to prompt questions from our theoretical
"astute and alert" beekeeper.

Let's all agree that the next nasty exotic invasive pest
or pathogen that starts having its way with our hives
needs to be CAREFULLY EXAMINED and compared to all known
"close" variants.

I for one, am getting tired of not having a good answer
to the question "how could everyone we trust have screwed
up so badly on something so basic TWICE IN A ROW?"