From:
Kevin Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:41:58 -0500
 peterlborst wrote:
> By forcing several queens to cohabit, they create more productive colonies for commercial exploitation.

Sorry Peter, out here in the sticks my old machine can't open your link.  Not your fault.

I've occasionally seen colonies with two laying queens, presumeably mother/daughter.  After a while, one isn't there anymore.  Somebody told me once his wish list included queens that tolerated each other--re-queening would mean just running a new one into the entrance.  Lots of people do that now, but sometimes it doesn't work.

To what extent is tolerance of multiple queens a function of the queen, versus a function of her daughter workers?     Was this an arena experiment, or did it take place in the presence of workers related to both queens?

Kevin