From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 09:10:39 -0600
>> Small cell works for some, but hasn't caught on in a big way with
>> commercial operators, although many have tinkered with it.

> Isn't the the hardest thing to get commercial to change

Not the commercials I know.  They are all over every new idea.

> As for research, well it has been said if it works then it will stand the
> test of time, so I guess we are seeing both the return to SC and the
> stoppage of LC with a failed experiment of the 1933/34 Paris convention of
> sorts for getting the bigger is better movement going, for when things
> then go bad, does that mean the experiment failed?

There have been many fads in foundation over the years.  Some were for a
cell intermediate between worker and drone, for honey, and some were for
other purposes.  Some enlarged combs were for easier extracting, since it is
harder to get honey out of smaller cells. I hear there is currently a fad
towards tiny cells.  Personally, I am against foundation altogether.

I am quite sure you will never convince me that bees have been upsized.  I
think you know that by now.  There are just to many diverse things going on
out there for that to have happened.  I do agree, though that it is a shame
that brood combs have been taken to the large sizes they have, and that this
has had adverse effects on bees forced to live in them.

> any way Allen my dear friend, you get the drift I think. So what else you
> thinking?

Well, I'm thinking that you have certainly challenged everyone's assumptions
and had a positive effect on our beekeeping, and kept us well entertained
throughout.  As for whether your theories hold water and will be proved out,
I wonder, but what you are doing certainly works for you, and some others.
I'd sure like to get a better picture, though, of the extent of the adoption
of small cell and see a list of success stories that involve more than a
small circle of vocal devotees.

We'll be watching Bob, and I'm sure he will give it a fair shot, and tell us
all, (so you'd better keep a watch on him and make sure he stays on the path
:) )