From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:04:55 -0600
Hello Jerry & All,

Myself and another beekeeper watched the CBS program tonight.
We both agree the frame held up by the woman beekeeper Louise showed signs
of parasitic mite syndrum (PMS).

Over the years I have looked at thousands & thousands of these type frames.

The bees in the hive shown died from PMS (virus and other issues) vectored
by a high varroa load. No mystery there.

David Vanderdusen and I had a long talk a month ago and he has said in
todays environment varroa control unchecked will kill a hive
in FOUR MONTHS OR LESS
and varroa control needs done every four months in the active season.

Check her varroa control Jerry.

bees in the shown hive crashed from varroa and drifted to other hives
(perhaps for the same fate).

Also we started seeing PMS signs in deadouts which were not over the
suggested threshold about three years ago.

Virus problems are so common now that threshold is a poor way to judge hive
health.

bottom line:
To control virus you have got to control varroa!

I spoke at length with Lance S. ( beekeeper interveiwed) last month about
the semi load he lost in California ( Jerry B. will know what I am talking
about) and he has been having varroa issues in his bees.

These are tough times in commercial beekeeping.  Every bee supply catalog
has pages of treatments for varroa which either

. Do not work any longer in most areas
.Checkmite or Apistan
or
.Are  very temperature and humidity dependent and need verification after
the treatment period that the varroa control worked.

I don't want to dispute the experts but I know PMS signs when I see it as do
most of us which make a living from bees.

Bob

--
believed to be clean.