From:
joe carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:20:02 -0900
We put a remote Thermometer in the cellar with the bees.  I believe the bees generate about 25 to 30 watts of felt heat.  The temp would be with in 10 degrees of outside ambient.  One unanticipated issue was the breeze that was blown down the single pvc pipe.  There was more moisture below it in the cellar from the rain and snow blowing in.  I do not know if it ever pooled or created ice but it definitely was wetter than areas 3 feet away.

I have experimented with bees in school buses, barns, and sheds and outside in the snow and many other ways. Total darkness, consistent temps (the radiant heat from the windows in the bus caused  - as much as 30 degrees warmer in the bus with direct sunlight - too much activity and heavy losses), proper ventilation, among other considerations affected my bees.

Yes, I do lower the hives by straps.  Rather heavy, need help!  I have timbers running along the bottom of the cellar like railroad tracks which I slide the hives down.  Can be rather exciting to have tons of bees around the hive as you push it into position. Even with closing the entrance some vigilante bees reach me.  Now I install my Carson Latch which is spring steel latches from box to box.  Far less difficulties.

I use a red colored bee from the northern tier of the States and lower Canada.  I have tried most every bee I could find.  What works for me may not be what works for you.  I have re queened with many big name queen breeders and some of the no name breeders.  The black bees do not produce a crop for me, the yellow ones do well in the summer but do not winter as well, the hybrids do well for a season.

There is the occasional errant bee coming up the pipe drawn to the sunlight during a short warm spell (-15 F) but they obviously do not make it back.  The activity gets very strong as the weather gets closer to 32 degrees.  The bees are observed going and coming through the pipe.  I do not know how they get back to their own hive or even if they do.  I do not open the cellar until the season is right and no cameras installed in cellar to observe.

I bring out about 5 to 6 frames of healthy bees per box in the spring.  I start with two deeps fully loaded with bees and honey.  They build up fast and are extremely motivated to do their job!  In June I will have over 20 hours of potential real sunlight

What works for others may not work for me but this system does work for me and now I have 35 hives in this type of test this winter as well as three other bee yard testing areas.

Dr. Joe Carson
Alaska Heavenly Honey

http://biggestloser.msn.com/